Monday, February 1, 2010

Hard Eight BBQ

1/29/10 Coppel, TX Man this place is awesome. Reminds me of Cooper's in Llano, but on a heavy dose of steroids. You walk up to the pits and they open it up and you see an unreal selection of food that's nice and smokey. I loaded up with samples of brisket, jalapino sausage, corn in its husk, potatoes, and skewered chicken with a jalapino slice all encased in bacon. Fortunately, I had the family help chow down, and I haven't even gotten to the side dishes yet. The brisket was a solid A. Very consistant with a nice moist texture with plenty of flavor. The jalapino chicken poppers were good, but just a smidge dry. The jap sausage was nice and juicy, but still doesn't compare to the establishments in Lockhart. Having said that, it's still a solid B+ sausage. Sides were good, cornbread salad was a nice shift from the norm, the grilled corn delivered as promised but the husks I could do without. The beans were fantastic. They've got whole jalapinos floating in the bean broth, so grab a few if you like! Oh, and the pickles. Normally I wouldn't mention the pickles, but my toddler daughter had 3 styrofoam cupfulls. Yes, unfortunately you read that right.

I could go on and on about this place. I could say that a great effort was put into th ambiance, complete with cowbell on a roap that the kiddos love to ring. I could say that it is with sincere grattitude to the Dallas/Ft. Worth metroplex that I thank Hard Eight for setting up shop where they did. But if I am to leave you, faithfull BBQ lover, with one parting thought to stash away in your mesquite soaked brain it would be this. Do not leave without trying the banana pudding. Ladies and gentlemen, we have a winner. Start at the bottom. Take that spoon and go straight down. Thats where you'll find the whole Nilla Wafers. Crush them you your heart's content. Then move up. You'll snag a delicious pudding that has the consistancy of silky mousse rather than pudding. Before you disengage your spoon from the styrofoam cup, you'll hit yet another layer of Nilla wafers, but this time they are pre crushed into a heavy dusting over the top. Doesn't really matter how much food you've eaten already, and at this place, it will be A LOT. Just don't think about leaving before dessert and you'll give Hard Eight a hard 8 stars********.

No comments:

Post a Comment