Saturday, January 28, 2012

Soulman's Bar-B-Que


1/28/12 Dallas, TX So I gave blood. Yeah, I'm a fkn' saint. Believe it or not, this fact is very relevant to this review. It happend to be near Soulman's BBQ so I stopped by to check it out. Very helpful and informative dude behind the counter recommended ribs. There's a pig wearing sunglasses on the sign out front, so of course I'm getting the ribs. I order a to-go plate with some St. Louis style ribs, then spicy beans, and some spicy cabbage/onion thing on the side. You get your self-serve onions and pickles, of course, but you can also get self-serve pico, fresh jalapinos, banana peppers, etc. Way cool. They're into spicy here.

Anyway, I take the BBQ back to my vehicle and get on my way. As I get on the freeway I start wondering if I'm light-headed from giving away half the blood in my body, or if I was just hungry. Seemed counter productive to drive down the freeway only to pass out and wreck, especially before even trying the ribs sitting in the passenger seat. So, I figure the responsible thing to do is chow down on a rib, just to clear my head. The next thing I know, I'm taking down these ribs one after the other. It was a little messy, and it was sometimes hard staying in my lane, but it's not like I was texting or using the cell phone or anything irresponsible. It must have been quite a sight for the folks behind me though, what with bones flying out of my window and all. Don't get all preachy to me about littering. People and animals have been leaving bones all over the earth for like hundreds or millions of years. At 70 mph they probably ended up in the grassy right-of-way anyway. And don't get all preachy about distracted driving either. The blood I just gave will probably save the life of someone who got in a wreck anyway, so I am more or less getting a free pass in causing at least a few. But I digress...

The ribs were good. They had a nice thick smoke ring and were tender enough to pull the bone right out! A little greasy (I prefer a "louder" bark hehe), but most everything here seemed a little greasy. That's just how they roll, and it's perfectly ok. The beans had chunks of sausage and japs in there and were very good. The greasy spicy cabbage thing was not bad, if you're into cabbage that is. It's atypical to see this side at a BBQ joint, so I definitely give them points for creativity. All in all, Soulman's gets a B++. Sometimes you want BBQ that's a little different from the norm, and Soulman's comes through with flying rib bones, er, that is to say "flying colors". Until next time, pedal to the metal!

No comments:

Post a Comment